(This is a 12-team league and I picked eighth in the first round.)
- I relied heavily on the Football Outsiders' rankings. FO has Mendhall as their second-ranked player (behind only Chris Johnson) and Forte and Charles in their overall top ten. They have Ward as their eighth-ranked receiver, which surprised me. I wouldn't have taken Donald Brown (#55 overall) without looking at FO.
- Once the top four quarterbacks (Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and Brady) were taken, I decided to wait on taking a QB until later in the draft because the rest of the options were all fungible. Then, I got nervous about the prospect of being weak at QB and took three in five picks. The McNabb pick was a bit of a panic pick, but I was feeling so good about my backs and receivers that it was worth rolling the dice.
- When Chaz Schillens gets healthy, I'm hoping against hope that Al Davis doesn't force his coaches to throw the ball to Darius Heyward-Bey. Relying on rationality from the Raiders is a fool's errand, right?
- Seven of my 15 picks come from the AFC and NFC West. We're relying on a bunch of our players benefitting from playing six games against terrible opponents.
- With the Cassel-Charles combo, I'm putting my faith in Charlie Weis. Oy vey.
- Yes, I know that the Bears' defense isn't what it used to be. That was a Devin Hester pick.
- I feel very good about my team, but I always feel good after drafts and then remake my rosters within four weeks. The best battle plan never surivives first contact with the enemy.