Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Most Boring Genre of Post

My fantasy team, in draft order:

Rashard Mendenhall
Jamaal Charles
Matt Forte
Greg Jennings
Hines Ward
Matt Cassel
Steve Breaston
Kyle Orton
Kellen Winslow
Donovan McNabb
Louis Murphy
Bears Defense
Donald Brown
Cardinals Defense
Matt Prater

(This is a 12-team league and I picked eighth in the first round.)
  • I relied heavily on the Football Outsiders' rankings. FO has Mendhall as their second-ranked player (behind only Chris Johnson) and Forte and Charles in their overall top ten. They have Ward as their eighth-ranked receiver, which surprised me. I wouldn't have taken Donald Brown (#55 overall) without looking at FO.
  • Once the top four quarterbacks (Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and Brady) were taken, I decided to wait on taking a QB until later in the draft because the rest of the options were all fungible. Then, I got nervous about the prospect of being weak at QB and took three in five picks. The McNabb pick was a bit of a panic pick, but I was feeling so good about my backs and receivers that it was worth rolling the dice.
  • When Chaz Schillens gets healthy, I'm hoping against hope that Al Davis doesn't force his coaches to throw the ball to Darius Heyward-Bey. Relying on rationality from the Raiders is a fool's errand, right?
  • Seven of my 15 picks come from the AFC and NFC West. We're relying on a bunch of our players benefitting from playing six games against terrible opponents.
  • With the Cassel-Charles combo, I'm putting my faith in Charlie Weis. Oy vey.
  • Yes, I know that the Bears' defense isn't what it used to be. That was a Devin Hester pick.
  • I feel very good about my team, but I always feel good after drafts and then remake my rosters within four weeks. The best battle plan never surivives first contact with the enemy.

No comments: