Friday, June 17, 2005

Evidence that Atlanta doesn't suck as a sports town

For all the guff that Atlanta fans take (and specifically Hawks fans,) this fact is pretty impressive, especially in light of the fact that the Finals involve no transcendent personalities (read: stars from major markets) and the games have been that deadly combination of uncompetitive and overly defensive. G-d bless fans in this town for watching the Finals; they're better basketball fans than I am. If the Hawks could just show something of a pulse, there would be loads of excitement here. I'm channeling William Wallace's speech to Robert the Bruce: "There is strength in you, I have felt it. And if you would just LE-EE-AD you r people to freedom, they would follow you. And so would I."

Post-script: thanks to imdb.com, here's the actual quote: "Your title gives you claim to the throne of our country, but men don't follow titles, they follow courage. Now our people know you. Noble, and common, they respect you. And if you would just lead them to freedom, they'd follow you. And so would I" It appears that I was channeling Luke Skywalker as well as William Wallace. Oops.

No comments: