Monday, July 04, 2005

Speed Blogging from Cactus Car Wash

The wife and I just ran 6.2 miles with the rest of the city and are now waiting for Guderian (my car) to get cleaned. Thus, I will blog as many thoughts as I can in the next few minutes. Enjoy.

1. It occurred to me the other day that I listed Buddy Teevens on the worst coaches list and Stanford apparently agreed with me, since they fired him last year. Oops. I'm going to have to think about a new option.

2. Great win for the Braves last night, which they needed since the Nationals are apparently not going to lose for the next month. (That team has such an '02 Notre Dame vibe. I can't wait for them to get their 28-6 beating from NC State.) It's funny how one game, the difference between a winning and losing road trip, can mean so much to my mental outlook of the team. Or maybe that's just an indictment of me. Andruw continues to get the big hits that all the naysayers said he would never get and the makeshift rotation has been quite effective. Although the Braves are actually farther from first than they were last week, they've at least put a little distance between themselves and the rest of the division and they're in good shape for the Wild Card. Incidentally, this week, SI picks the Braves to finish second in the division to the Marlins and win the wild card.

3. I read SI's cover story on Michael Vick this weekend, but I didn't get anything out of it other than that Michael is defensive about his criticisms from pundits as a poor passer. (Gee, could it be because you have a disturbing number of 110-yard passing days? Remember your last game?) Vick points out that he tends to win and he's absolutely right about that. I remain conflicted. The Falcons are much better when he plays, but he's not very good at what quarterbacks are measured by.

Per the article, he's also a good guy who plays with children at his football camp, although I felt the disturbing gnaw of his publicists behind the scenes on the article. Or maybe the NFL wanted their marketing golden goose to look better after the Ron Mexico stories hit this spring.

4. If there's a better feeling in the world than turning the corner from Peachtree onto 10th Street and seeing that the remaining .6 mile is downhill, I'd like to know what it is.

5. Spike TV has a Bondathon today, which might keep me in front of the TV all day. On the other hand, they started with The Living Daylights and Never Say Never Again, so maybe I won't have to worry about watching much. Is On Her Majesty's Secret Service next? Do they have an aversion to showing Connery or Moore? (No, I don't consider Connery's comeback effort to be real Connery. It didn't start with the signature gunsight shot, there was an impostor Q and M, and they couldn't even come up with a new plot line.)

And my car is ready. Have a great 4th!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing the Peachtree. How was Cardiac Hill?

Michael said...

Thanks. Cardiac Hill wasn't bad because my wife insists on running slowly at the outset of the race and that always turns out to be a good decision because we have plenty of energy for the hills and then the closing kick. We also trained on some decent hills, specifically:

1. Ponce heading east from the Crack Kroger to Highland; and

2. 10th Avenue heading east, from the Thriller Dome (or the McBoob, as it's called in my household) to Monroe.

JS said...

Named your car after the father of the blitzkreig?

I can't really say anything my car is a named Hrududu

wow power leveling said...

cheap wow power leveling cheapest wow power leveling buy wow power leveling CHEAP power leveling CHEAPEST wow gold BUY wow powerleveling