Thursday, July 28, 2005

This has gone too far

We're up 5-4 on the Nats in the 8th with a chance to sweep and Bobby calls on Dan Kolb again? The same guy who blew a two-run lead in the 8th last night and a one-run lead in the 8th on Saturday night? Is the thinking that he can't possibly blow three appearances in a row? Is this like doubling your bet in blackjack after a run of bad luck? Usually when I do that, I end up in my room ten minutes later, muttering and deciding "well, I've already lost a bunch; what's another eight dollars on a bottle of water?" Oh, and Danny boy is facing the meat of the Nats' lineup, such as that may be.

Update: Kolb miraculously gets the first out, then remembers that he's Dan Kolb and allows consecutive singles. With runners on the corners, two outs, and his former four-run lead about to evaporate, Bobby summons Macay McBride, who pitches Dan out of his latest blunder. I'm interested to see who pitches the 9th, since Reitsma has been used for the last two nights. Blaine Brower, possibly?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blaine Boyer, Jim Brower...

I'd love to see Blaine close, but Reitsma's been fine lately. Brower is barely better than Kolb and Powell.

Michael said...

D'oh!

Completely agree on Reitsma, but due to his overuse issues last year, I thought that Bobby might refrain from using him three nights in a row, I certainly hope that he gets the night off tonight. A couple 7-2 wins would be awfully nice.